Make your money go further in the capital with these 101 ideas for cheap things to do in London.
Cheap eats in London
- Find a deal on a freshly cooked meal from a stall at Borough Market, a paradise for foodies.
- Get a tasty lunch, such as a burrito or mac and cheese, from a street food truck.
- Bite into a sweet or savoury pancake at My Old Dutch.
- Having breakfast in Mayfair doesn’t have to be expensive. Eat a hot sandwich or full English at Cardinals of Mayfair, just off Park Lane, for less than £10.
- Tuck into piping hot chips and crispy battered fish at one of London's famous fish and chip shops.
- Sample affordable and authentic Chinese food in Chinatown.
- Dig into a mouthwatering frozen yoghurt at one of the many Snog outlets in the capital.
- Treat yourself to a delicious pastry, cake or cupcake at one of London's best cake shops.
- Enjoy a tasty dish that doesn't break the bank at one of London's affordable eating spots.
- Grab a hamburger at one of London's top 10 burger bars.
- Try a three-course lunch special in the beautiful art deco interior of Brasserie Zédel.
Cheap things to do after dark
Inexpensive and off the beaten track
- Stroll through Thames Barrier Park which overlooks the river and is perfect for picnics and outdoor games.
- Tour Brixton Windmill, the only surviving windmill in inner London.
- See the city from a different angle at the rooftop Garden at 120.
Cheap London fun for families
- Be wowed by aquatic life from around the globe in the aquarium at the Horniman Museum.
- Meet goats, ponies, alpacas and other farmyard animals at Vauxhall City Farm and Mudchute Farm.
- Experience the wonders of science first-hand with interactive exhibits and fun activities at the Science Museum.
- Discover a treasure trove of prehistoric creatures and fascinating galleries to explore at the Natural History Museum.
Historic homes in London
- Soak up the historical atmosphere at Sutton House, the Tudor home of Thomas Cromwell's protege Ralph Sadler.
- Explore the home of Benjamin Franklin, scientist, diplomat, philosopher, inventor and Founding Father of the United States, at Benjamin Franklin House.
- Visit the Hampstead home of Sigmund Freud, now preserved as the Freud Museum.
- Take the £1 ferry across the Thames to visit Marble Hill House and Ham House.
- Look inside Chiswick House and wander the sprawling grounds.
- Find out about the Duke of Wellington’s glittering London life at Apsley House.
Great London pubs, bars and cafes
- Sup a pint in front of a crackling fire at one of London’s cosy pubs.
- Quaff a glass of wine at one of the candlelit tables at the cave-like Gordon’s Wine Bar.
- Sip a creative concoction at the London Cocktail Club.
- Choose from the vast list of more than 500 gins and 30 tonics at Holborn Dining Room.
- Unwind over a purr-fect cup of tea among the resident cats at Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium.
- Read a book over a pot of tea in Bloomsbury's London Review Cake Shop.
- Enjoy a half-price martini during happy hour at Dirty Martini.
- Get your caffeine fix at one of London’s top 10 independent coffee shops.
- Play shuffleboard and drink from a vast selection of craft beers at Elephant & Castle hangout Spit and Sawdust.
- Stop for a brew and a chat in Terry's Café, a thoroughly British affair in Borough with a charming local vibe.
- Buy a wristband for London Cocktail Week and enjoy discounted drinks around the capital.
Wallet-friendly shops and markets in London
Best cheap and free museums in London
See London theatre for less
Parks in London
- Hire a deckchair in the summer at some of London's best parks, including Green Park, Hyde Park and St James’s Park.
- Swim in the historic men's, ladies' and mixed ponds on Hampstead Heath.
- Stroll through scenic Richmond Park, home to free-roaming deer, ancient trees and blooming flowers.
- Find inner peace in the tranquil Kyoto Garden in Holland Park.
Art galleries and museums
Cheap travel in London
- Take an Uber by Thames Clippers boat from the London Eye to Greenwich.
- Glide above the Thames in the IFS Cloud Cable Car.
- Enjoy a cheap sightseeing tour of London by taking the 74 bus between Putney and Baker Street via South Kensington, Harrods, Hyde Park and Selfridges.
- Take a canal boat ride from Little Venice to Camden.
- See some of London's most iconic sights on a walk along the South Bank.
Best cheap winter activities in London