Things to do on New Year’s Day 2024 in London
From the New Year’s Day parade to festive activities and top attractions, there are plenty of ways to enjoy London this New Year’s Day.
Make the most of the first day of 2024 with these New Year’s Day events and activities in London.
Many of London’s iconic attractions and most popular activities can be enjoyed on 1 January, but check opening times in advance.
London's New Year's Day Parade 2024
The highlight of the New Year’s Day celebrations in London is the New Year’s Day Parade, which features performances from more than 10,000 dancers, acrobats, musicians and entertainers in central London.
New Year’s Day concerts
- Head to the Barbican Centre for its annual New Year’s Day Proms and listen to classical music from the likes of Tchaikovsky and Strauss.
- Visit one of London's beautiful cathedrals and churches for spectacular New Year's Day concerts.
More New Year's Day in London activities
- Go ice skating on one of London's coolest ice rinks, including Hampton Court Palace and Westfield.
- Make the most of your last chance to visit Christmas at Kew and Winter Wonderland.
- See the sights on a hop-on hop-off bus tour.
- Visit the capital’s famous museums and attractions; the London Transport Museum, Science Museum, Tate Modern and more are usually open.
- Take a long stroll in a beautiful London park.
- Shop the January sales at London’s best department stores and top shopping destinations.
- Catch up on culture at a top exhibition.
New Year's Day after dark
- Watch a best-selling West End show or musical, from the Lion King to The Play That Goes Wrong.
- If you're still feeling festive, there's plenty of time to see a magical Christmas show.
- Spot the London Christmas lights still shining bright across the city and look out for some of the capital's best Christmas trees. It's even more fun to see them on an evening open-top bus tour!
- Wrap up warm and enjoy one of the capital's dazzling winter light festivals.
- Party at a New Year’s Day club night.
- Relax in one of the capital’s best cosy pubs or toast to 2024 with a cocktail at a rooftop bar.
Travelling in London on New Year's Day
Public transport is limited on New Year’s Day, so check Transport for London's Journey Planner for travel information.
If you're staying in London over the festive period, find transport opening times and other essential travel information and check out these things to do on New Year's Eve and Christmas in London.