Black History Month 2023 in London
Discover cultural events celebrating Black communities, culture and history during Black History Month 2023 in London, throughout October.
What's on during Black History Month 2023?
The lineup of Black History Month activities usually includes insightful talks, foodie events and celebrations of music and culture across the capital.
The 2023 Black History Month events programme has not yet been announced – make sure to check back closer to the time for more information.
Find more Black History Month events in London and online.
Learn about Black history all year round
London celebrates and appreciates Black culture and communities through exhibitions, walks and landmarks all year round.
- Celebrate the contribution Black people have made to the city with the Black History Tube map, from TfL and the Black Cultural Archives.
- Head to the Museum of London Docklands to sharpen your knowledge about the impact of the trade of sugar and enslaved Africans, through the London, Sugar and Slavery exhibition.
- Journey through 60 years of Nigerian independence through objects, images and words as part of Nigeria60 at the Horniman Museum.
- Choose from 12 guided tours by Black History Walks around the capital, all uncovering more than 3,500 years of London's Black history.
- You can also join an educational movie screening each month to widen your horizons.
- Go on a search for the Blue Plaques and Nubian Jak plaques, which commemorate Black members of the community who left a powerful footprint on London and the world.
- Seek out the Gilt of Cain sculpture in the City of London, which marks the abolition of transatlantic slave trade in 1807.
- Keep up to date with news and campaigns, and learn how you can be a better ally with London-based educational charity, the Institute of Race Relations.
- Support Black-owned businesses across London! Stock up on top-quality chocolates from Dark Sugars, enjoy a juice from Get Juiced! Bar in Tooting, pick up a new prickly plant friend from Prick LDN or grab a cuppa at the beautiful Saint Aymes cafe.
- Learn about the Windrush Stories at the British Library, which explore the relationship between Britain and the Caribbean from 1948 and beyond.
- And pick up a book on the topic from New Beacon Books, which was the first Black publisher in the UK, founded in 1966.
What is Black History Month?
Black History Month is an annual celebration of the achievements of Black communities and the remembrance of Black history across the world. In the UK, Black History Month takes place throughout October.
First celebrated in the UK in 1987, the month-long festival includes educational events, exhibitions, shows, talks, memorial services and installations across London that raise awareness of history and celebrate traditions, customs and cultures.