From warming ramen and noodle soups to tasty teriyaki or restaurants specialising in meats cooked over robata grills, there's so much choice when it comes to Japanese food in London.
Sushi restaurants can be found throughout the city, whether trendy sit-down spots or grab-and-go cafes ideal for a light lunch.
Check out the best Japanese restaurants in London below.
Best sushi restaurants in London
- Go wild for maki, nigiri and sashimi, plus a whole range of grilled delicacies and colourful salads, at Sticks'n'Sushi in Covent Garden.
- Treat yourself to inventive sushi platters and a unique fusion of Japanese, Brazilian and Peruvian dishes at Sushisamba London – with incredible views to boot.
- Experience a proper sushi-ya that wouldn’t be out of place in a smart Tokyo suburb, with an unforgettable meal at seven-seater Sushi Tetsu.
- Indulge in Michelin-starred sushi using the finest ingredients, from lobster to scallops, at Kyoto-inspired Umu in Mayfair.
- Tuck into cleverly crafted sushi rolls, featuring everything from eel and avocado to sukiyaki, at Yashin Ocean House in South Kensington.
Best ramen restaurants in London
- Choose from 10 innovative and exciting flavours of ramen noodles at Bone Daddies in Soho – or try their Kensington and Old Street offshoots.
- Taste authentic Hakata-style (tonkotsu pork broth base) ramen at Ippudo in Covent Garden – a favourite among ramen connoisseurs.
- Enjoy yet more delicious tonkotsu ramen, with pork belly, char-sui pork or vegetarian toppings, at Kanada-Ya in Charing Cross.
- Slurp on Shoryu Ramen’s rich Hakata tonkotsu ramen noodles at one of several branches in London, including in Soho and Covent Garden.
- Savour Tonkotsu East’s moreish, homemade tonkotsu ramen noodles, generously topped with slices of pork, vegetables and eggs, or try their veggie soups.
Best high-end Japanese restaurants in London
- Discover thrilling Japanese cuisine with a creative, contemporary twist, from sublime grills to superb sashimi, at Aqua Kyoto, five floors above London’s Regent Street.
- Sample exquisite, expertly crafted Japanese cuisine from world-renowned chef Matsuhisa at Nobu’s original London outpost on Old Park London.
- Watch the chefs in action as they prepare a range of delicious Japanese dishes, from wagyu beef to scallop skewers, on the central robata grill at Roka.
- Experience authentic Japanese cuisine with a modern twist from internationally renowned chef Yoshihiro Murata at Tokimeite in Mayfair.
- One of London’s best high-end Japanese restaurants favoured by A-listers and locals alike, Zuma serves a range of izakaya-style dishes including tempura, grills and sushi.