Easter falls in March and April.
Most shops are closed on Easter Sunday and there may be reduced public transport.
April events in London include the London Marathon, the Feast of St George and the Sikh festival of Vaisakhi.
The Queen’s official birthday is in June, but her actual birthday is 21 April.
By April, spring is definitely in the air. The coldest months have gone in favour of more sunshine and a few rain showers.
Visit the London Wetland Centre in south west London, or another one of London's city farms, zoos or nature reserves, to spot ducklings, chicks and other spring arrivals this month. Or sit back with a boat trip on the Thames or with a meal al fresco on a sunny day.
April events in London
This year, Easter falls between March and April. Many London attractions put on special activities for all the family, including egg hunts and interactive exhibitions, over the Easter weekend from 30 March to 2 April. Keep an eye out for Easter-themed afternoon teas, and don't forget to treat yourself at one of London's top chocolate shops.
Most shops in London do not open on Easter Sunday, and there may be reduced public transport over the Easter weekend.
Get set for the arrival of the Underbelly Festival on London's South Bank from 6 April, as a line-up of circus, theatre, cabaret, comedy, music and children's shows returns for the 10th year. Plus, grab a drink in the sunshine at one of the capital's largest outdoor bars.
One of London's biggest sporting events, the London Marathon, takes place on 22 April. Enjoy the party atmosphere and cheer on the thousands of participants from the sidelines as they run past some of London's top landmarks.
Annual April events
- Try out new video games, play against professional gamers and hear from experts in the industry during the London Games Festival. 5-15 Apr
- Celebrate England's national day in Trafalgar Square with the Feast of St George, including live music, food stalls, kids activities, and a friendly dragon. 21 Apr
- Trafalgar Square also welcomes the Sikh festival of Vaisakhi with performances, arts events, food and family activities. 28 Apr
Special London April events
- Although the Queen celebrates her official birthday in June, her actual birthday is 21 April. Listen out for gun salutes being fired in central London to mark the occasion: one usually takes place at Hyde Park and another at the Tower of London. 21 Apr
- Witness the monumental unveiling of the Millicent Fawcett statue, the first dedicated to a woman in Parliament Square, on the centenary of the women's right to vote. 24 Apr
- This month also marks the 100th anniversary of the Royal Air Force on 1 April. Find special events throughout the year, from exhibitions and shows, to a spectacular flypast over Buckingham Palace. 31 Mar-30 Nov
For more things to do in April in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London, or download a free copy of the AprilLondon Planner. And catch the best of the London stage with our roundup of top London April shows.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London Weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.