August is one of the warmest months of the year in London, when you can enjoy the capital’s many outdoor and open-air activities and make the most of the warm summer days.
You can make the kids' summer memorable by taking them to London's best theatre shows during Kids Week, when tickets are heavily discounted.
What's on in London in August?
Iconic August events
- Grab a comfy corner of the blanket for an evening at Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House or check out London's best outdoor cinemas.
- Immerse yourself in all sorts of artsy performances in south-east London during Greenwich+Docklands International Festival.
- Feel the pomp at BBC Proms, an annual celebration of classical music at Royal Albert Hall, which is in full swing in August.
- Check out the Underbelly Festival's unique mix of comedy, cabaret, variety performances and more.
- Book a spot for quirky shows and activities for the whole family at the London Wonderground in Earl's Court.
Shows to book this August
- Sing along to your favourite ABBA songs at ABBA Voyage, the must-see state-of-the-art concert featuring virtual versions of the Swedish stars.
August bank holiday weekend in London
- Join Europe's largest street festival, as the iconic Notting Hill Carnival, returns to the streets of west London this year.
- Celebrate Black culture, food and music at Yam Carnival on Clapham Common.
- Join more than 100 producers at the London Craft Beer Festival in Tobacco Dock for a three-day celebration of brewing....
August sightseeing ideas
- Stop off at key sights and attractions on a hop-on-hop-off bus tour. Head up to the top deck on other London bus tours, or even enjoy stand-up comedy or theatre tunes aboard a bus tour with live entertainment.
- See London from a different angle as you float along on a boat tour on the Thames...
- ...Or cross the Thames to take in stunning views from the Emirates Air Line cable car.
- Pick up a money-saving pass such as The London Pass, the London Explorer Pass or Merlin London Attractions Pass to see many attractions in one go.
August family activities
- Tick off London's top attractions for kids.
- Explore props, costumes and sets from the Harry Potter films at Warner Bros. Studio Tour – The Making of Harry Potter.
- Let the little ones take over a city made just for kids, as KidZania encourages them to try activities and careers such as pilots, firefighters, TV presenters and more.
- Make the most of Kids Week, where you can pick up a half-price child's ticket for every half-price adult ticket, for top London theatre shows.
- Get lost in the maze and immerse yourself in royal history, as you wander the magnificent grounds of Hampton Court Palace.
- Find heaps more family fun with top tips on things to do during the summer holidays and top family experiences in London right now.
For more things to do in August in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage with our guide to London theatre. Fancy a spontaneous break to London? Find out what you can do this weekend and what is on today.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.