August is one of the warmest months of the year in London, when you can enjoy the capital’s many outdoor and open-air activities and make the most of the warm summer days.
You can usually make the kids' summer memorable by taking them to London's best theatre shows.
Unmissable London events August 2022
- Celebrate August bank holiday weekend (26-29 Aug) at Europe's largest street festival, as the iconic Notting Hill Carnival, returns to the streets of west London. 27-29 Aug
- Dance all day and night to top DJs and electronic music acts at the Eastern Electrics Festival at the Lee Valley Showground. 27 Aug
- Feel the pomp at BBC Proms, an annual celebration of classical music at the Royal Albert Hall, which is in full swing in August.
- Immerse yourself in all sorts of artsy performances in south-east London during the Greenwich+Docklands International Festival. 26 Aug-11 Sep
- Fill your tummy with street food and sip on refreshing coolers at the Hampton Court Palace Food Festival. 27-29 Aug
- Treat yourself to a sensory celebration of all things sweet at the London Dessert Festival. 12-14 Aug
- Or cool yourself down by trying a new flavour at the Ice Cream Festival in Covent Garden. 19 Aug–4 Sep
- Join more than 100 producers at the London Craft Beer Festival in Tobacco Dock for a celebration of brewing.... 12-13 Aug
- Celebrate days out in the sun at the Carnaby Summer Festival, with fun activities, music, fashion, food, and more in the heart of London's West End. Dates TBC Aug-Sep
- Grab a comfy corner of the blanket for an evening and check out London's best outdoor cinemas.
- Or get together with friends and dance under the stars at London's annual music festivals.
London theatre in August
- Be dazzled by London's top theatre shows and see long-running musicals, classic comedy and innovative plays on the West End stage.
- Feel the warmth of the Serengeti as you follow Simba the lion cub on his adventures in The Lion King at the Lyceum Theatre.
- See the award-winning Matilda The Musical at the Cambridge Theatre, where one extraordinary girl takes on her terrifying headmistress Miss Trunchbull.
- Laugh out loud at the hilarious The Play that Goes Wrong at the Duchess Theatre.
- Get into the holiday spirit, as you are whisked away to unforgettable Greek island wedding with Mamma Mia! at the Novello Theatre.
- Sing along to your favourite Rock 'n' Roll anthems at The Tina Turner Musical at the Aldwych Theatre, and see how the famous singer became a global superstar.
Fun things to do in August
- Find plenty of family fun in London with top tips on things to do during the summer holidays and top family experiences in London right now.
- Make the most of the extra day off during the August bank holiday weekend and discover many of London’s top attractions from your must-see list.
- Pick up a money-saving pass such as The London Pass or the Go City London Explorer Pass which give you access to multiple attractions.
- Tick off some of London's top attractions for kids, including movie magic at Warner Bros. Studio Tour – The Making of Harry Potter.
- Scale some of London’s most recognisable sights with the thrilling Up at The O2 climb or the Dare Skywalk
- Stop off at key sights and attractions on a hop-on-hop-off bus tour and head up to the top deck for great views on other London bus tours.
- Or take to the river and discover key landmarks from a different angle, as you enjoy a boat tour on the Thames.
- Laugh out loud at Shrek’s Adventure! London, an indoor walk-and-ride attraction inspired by the hit DreamWorks film.
- Get that perfect Instagram shot as you glide over London in the London Cable Car.
- Test your nerves as you cross Tower Bridge’s glass-bottomed walkway or book a special family tour.
- Feel each of the twists and turns on a high-speed descent through The Slide at ArcelorMittal Orbit.
- Discover how tiny hatchlings become gigantic tortoises and meet an array of wonderful wildlife from around the world at ZSL London Zoo.
- Immerse yourself in underwater wonders at the SEA LIFE London Aquarium located on London's lively South Bank.
- Tip toe across the Treetop Walkway at Kew Gardens to experience the forest canopy and enjoy magical views of the gardens.
London exhibitions in August
- Soak up the sun and some culture in London this summer, with a world-class free museums and galleries across the capital. of
- Let the experts lead the way and uncover the history of an impressive collection at The National Gallery Official Highlights Tour with Afternoon Tea.
- Don't miss the Summer Exhibition 2023 at the Royal Academy of Arts, showcasing innovative works from emerging artists around the world.
- Discover the works of artists spanning the last 80 years, from post-war paintings to contemporary photography, at Capturing the Moment at Tate Modern.
- Marvel at the world's most extraordinary photographs of space at Astronomy Photographer of the Year at the National Maritime Museum. Until 13 Aug
Check back closer to the time for more art and exhibitions in London in August.
More August ideas
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.