What's on in December in London?
- Celebrate Christmas in London with pop-up ice rinks, buzzing festive markets and seasonal activities.
- See London's famous festive displays on a special Christmas lights open-top bus tour at night.
- Don't miss top London December events including Christmas at Kew, Hogwarts in the Snow and Winter Wonderland.
- Watch Christmas pantos and unmissable London shows in December.
- Plan ahead to welcome the arrival of 2023 during London New Year's Eve celebrations.
Shop for handmade gifts and festive food at a charming Christmas market; go ice skating on one of the stunning outdoor ice rinks that pop up across the capital; enjoy carols and concerts accompanied by mulled wine and mince pies.
Unmissable events in December
- Don't miss the spectacular Christmas at Kew: Follow a glittering trail of lights, music and colours around the famous botanic gardens after dark.
- Hogwarts in the Snow: See the iconic sets dressed for Christmas. Go behind the scenes of the Harry Potter movies with
- Winter Wonderland: Experience Hyde Park transformed into an extravagant winter spectacle filled with fairground rides, ice skating, charming Christmas markets and fun family shows. Nov Celebrate the festive season at
- Catch The Great Christmas Pudding Race in Covent Garden: Watch as teams race around a festive obstacle course whilst trying to balance their Christmas Pudding on a tray. Dec TBC
- ice rinks: Go ice skating on one of the stunning ice rinks that pop up across the capital. Make the most of London's outdoor
- Enjoy carols and concerts across the city: Accompanied by mulled wine and mince pies, naturally.
Magical ways to spend Christmas in London
Christmas Day and Boxing Day (25 and 26 December) are both bank holidays (public holidays) in London, with reduced opening times and transport service. But there are still plenty of things to do during this festive period:
- Book a Christmas tour: Explore the city during the festive season or enjoy a day trip to historic sites such as Stonehenge, Canterbury or Bath.
- See the sights on a Christmas Day hop on hop off bus tour: Enjoy a scenic ride as you explore London without the crowds.
- Be dazzled by the Christmas Lights London by Night tour: See iconic London landmarks sparkle on a special guided tour.
- Set sail on a Christmas Day Lunch Cruise and Guided City Tour: Sip on bubbly, sing carols and tuck into on traditional Christmas lunch as you cruise along the Thames.
- Treat yourself to a luxury experience: Raise a glass of Champagne as you enjoy a luxury spa day or a unique experience in London.
- Celebrate at a top London restaurant: Book in advance to get a seat at your favourite restaurant for a festive feast.
- Get up early to watch the Peter Pan Cup: Brave members of the Serpentine Swimming Club compete in the icy waters of the Hyde Park lake on Christmas Day.
- Shop for great deals during the Boxing Day and January sales: Find top discounts on fashion, electronics and more.
- Find more things to do on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in London: Book tours, go ice skating and find fun events.
December shows in London
- Sleigh over to Royal Albert Hall for a festive show: See Carols at The Royal Albert Hall, My Christmas Orchestral Adventure, Guy Barker's Big Band Christmas and The Nutcracker.
- Don't miss Matilda The Musical at the Cambridge Theatre: Laugh out loud at the hilarious stage adaptation of ’s beloved book. Until 18 Dec
- Sing along to TINA - at the
- Check out more top London theatre shows: Also discover festive plays, concerts and pantomimes in the capital this December.
Fun London winter festivals
- Shop till you drop during Festive Fayre at Hampton Court Palace: Indulge in warming treats and enjoy entertainment with a seasonal twist. 2-4 Dec
- Step into Selfridges Christmas Market at Edwards Mews: Flock to the foodie and fashionista favourite, complete with its own Helter-Skelter for some festive fun.
- Check out Greenwich Market: Browse wooden stalls for stocking fillers and tick off your Christmas list.
- Venture to Kingston Christmas Market: Find unique Christmas gifts in the picturesque town's Ancient Market Place.
- Discover more of London's charming Christmas markets: Shop for handmade gifts and treat yourself to festive food.
Celebrate New Year's Eve in London
- Find ways to welcome 2023 in London: see top shows, enjoy wintry activities and seek out celebratory dining spots. Find all the best New Year's Eve things to do to send off 2022.
For more things to do in December in London, take a look at this events calendar and guide to what's on in London, find the best London theatre shows or look at these best things to do this winter in the capital.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see this London weather page.