What's on in London in October?
- Have fun with the kids at top attractions this October-half-term.
- Join in the fun with Halloween celebrations across the city
- Don't miss the Dark Arts at Warner Bros. Studio Tour - The Making of Harry Potter.
British schools break up for a October half-term this month, so look out for special family activities at many London attractions. While Halloween ensures the month ends with a spooky feel with plenty of scary events and activities – see below for ideas.
London becomes a little colder in October as autumn splashes the city’s parks and gardens with a riot of autumnal colours, changing the vivid greens to warm coppers, golds and russet reds. Take a trip to Kew Gardens, Richmond Park, or other major parks to bask in the beautiful display of colours.
Sponsored by Big City Saver
Top October activities in London
- See many of London's top attractions in one go with a sightseeing pass: The Big City Saver attractions passes, The London Pass and the Go City London Explorer Pass allow you to visit multiple spots and save money.
- Discover the Dark Arts at Warner Bros. Studio Tour - The Making of Harry Potter: Go behind the scenes of the iconic Harry Potter films - but watch out for the Death Eaters...
- See the city sparkle on a London by night open top bus tour: Admire London landmarks and the picturesque Illuminated River.
- Or take to the Thames on a river cruise: Whether you explore on a one day roamer or whizz along the river on a speedboat tour.
- Go up against your friends at indoor go-karting: Drive on the UK's fastest indoor racing track as you battle for first place.
- Enjoy a guided tour* of the State Apartments at Speaker's House: Go behind the scenes at the Palace of Westminster and get a rare glimpse of where the Speaker resides.
- Head to the British Museum for a guided tour of the extensive collection: See the best of the many artefacts and treasures on display at one of the world's oldest museums.
- Indulge at an unusual afternoon tea: Cast spells to retrieve your treats at Wands and Wizard Emporium*, or feast on a Sci-Fi Afternoon Tea at The Ampersand Hotel*.
- Hone your skills and learn from the very best at a masterclass: From immersive cocktail making at Ramsay's Bread Street Kitchen* to a sushi and sake Masterclass at Buddha-Bar*.
- Beat the cold with a relaxing spa day: Treat yourself or a loved one to a spot of pampering as the cold sets in.
Halloween in London
- Plan a frighteningly good Halloween in London: Enjoy themed events, family activities, tours and more of the best things to do in London this Halloween.
- Visit one of London's most eerie museums: Explore London's horrid history at museums such as the Clink Prison Museum and the Jack the Ripper Museum.
- Take on an immersive experience: Test your detective skills at Sherlock: The Official Live Game, or come up-close with dinosaurs at Jurassic World: The Exhibition.
- Go on a hair-raising walking tour to some of the city's most ominous neighbourhoods: Hear tales of the demon barber on a Sweeney Todd Walking Tour*, discover London's most haunted pubs* and uncover surprising histories of the city's Scientists and Monsters. 2 Oct
- Venture out of London on a Murder Mystery Lunch on Belmond British Pullman*: Indulge in five-course gourmet lunch before solving the clues to a deadly romance aboard the train, interact with the suspects as you try to figure out who the culprit is.
- Head to Halloween at Chiswick House and Gardens for a spooktacular experience: Explore the haunted woods where wicked witches and ghastly ghouls hide in the shadows and enjoy an array of delicious sweet treats, including cups of hot cocoa and roasted marshmallows. Until 31 Oct
London Theatre in October
- Be thrilled by the gothic romance of The Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theatre: Enjoy spectacular sets and costumes at Andrew Lloyd Webber's award-winning musical.
- Be dazzled by the show-stopping songs and technical wizardry of Wicked at the Apollo Victoria: Witness the untold story of the witches in the Wizard of Oz.
- Marvel at the magic of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child at the Palace Theatre: Join the world's most famous wizard as he embarks on a new adventure.
- Be spooked by the Woman in Black at the Fortune Theatre: See the spine-chilling ghost story that will make you jump out of your seat.
- Experience the wonder of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe at the Gillian Lynne Theatre: Follow four children on an epic adventure in the enchanting wintery kingdom of Narnia.
- Be spellbound by Disney's Frozen at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane: Enjoy the heart-warming stage adaptation of the much-loved film featuring fearless princesses Elsa and Anna.
- See the magical powers of Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre: Laugh out loud as the little girl from Roald Dahl's beloved book teaches the grown-ups a lesson.
- Be charmed by Hayao Miyazaki’s magical fairy tale My Neighbour Totoro at the Barbican Theatre: Encounter mystical creatures and natural wonders in this this heart-warming, coming-of-age story. From 8 Oct
- Don't be tricked by the eight potential suspects in Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap: Can you work out whodunnit in this classic murder-mystery?
- Laugh out loud at Showstopper! The Improvised Musical: See a brand new comedy created right before your very eyes at this multi award-winning show. 24 Oct
- Answer the calling for jury service at Witness for the Prosecution: Watch the gripping story of passion and betrayal unfold in the courtroom.
- Follow the moving story of Tom Robinson in To Kill a Mockingbird: Harper Lee's evocative Pulitzer prize-winning novel is brought to life on stage in this new play.
- Attend a show at the iconic Shakespeare's Globe Theatre: See impressive performances of classics such as Much Ado About Nothing and King Henry VIII.
- Treat the kids to these top musicals: Sing along with the little ones as you watch your favourite shows on stage.
Unmissable events in October
- Make memories in London during October half-term: Find fun events and family-friendly activities at popular London attractions. 15-30 Oct
- Celebrate black culture and history at Black History Month: Enjoy free events, exhibitions, music and more throughout October.
- Celebrate the cultural diversity of London at Diwali, the festival of lights: Experience exciting performances and cultural activities in Trafalgar Square. 9 Oct
- Don't miss The Golden Key, a spectacular free event in London's Square Mile: See the City of London's streets transformed with immersive theatre, games, and performances that tell the fascinating story of the area known as the historic heart of the capital. 15 Oct
- Test your fitness at the London Marathon: Sprint past London landmarks or join thousands cheering from the sidelines. 2 Oct
- Take part in the Royal Parks Half Marathon: Run for great causes in the leafy surrounds of London's beautiful parks. 9 Oct
- Celebrate London's creative scene at Frieze London and Frieze Masters art fairs in Regent's Park: View and buy contemporary art or historical gems. 12-16 Oct
- Get your fashion fix at The Mayfair Maison: Discover limited-edition luxury fashion items from well-known designers at discounted prices in Mayfair. 14-16 Oct
- Attend the Southbank Centre's London Literature Festival: See prestigious authors, rising literary stars and inspiring speakers, from Greta Thunberg to Graham Norton. 20-30 Oct
- Tempt your taste buds during the month-long London Restaurant Festival: Experience London's top restaurants, meet celebrity chefs and enjoy special one-off menus and food-themed events.
- Toast the return of London Cocktail Week: Sip on classic and new mixes at the world's largest cocktail festival, with events, discounts and tastings across the city. 13-23 Oct
- Or raise your stein at London Oktoberfest 2022: Celebrate Bavarian-style with live music, authentic German food and of course, beer at a number of venues across the city. 20 Oct-5 Nov
London exhibitions in October
- Don't miss Lubaina Himid at Tate Modern: See artworks inspired by theatre and social engagement from the Turner Prize-winning cultural activist. Until 2 Oct
- Marvel at Alexander the Great: The Making of a Myth at the British Library: Explore the stories and legends that surround the man who built an empire. From 21 Oct
- the iconic artworks of one of the leading figures in modern art.in this career-spanning exhibition. From 5 Oct
- Immerse yourself in Science Fiction: Voyage to the Edge of Imagination at the Science Museum: Experience a once-in-a-lifetime adventure into space onboard a unique spaceship. From 6 Oct
- Be intrigued by Fuseli and the Modern Woman: Fashion, Fantasy, Fetishism at the Courtauld Gallery: Observe eccentric artist
What else is on in October?
- Cheer on your favourite team at the NFL London Games: Take your seat for action-packed games and plenty of entertainment. 2-30 Oct
- Catch all the action at the Rugby League World Cup 2021: See the top national teams compete to be crowned the world champions. From 15 Oct
- Enjoy the K-Music Festival: Go beyond K-Pop and listen to artists use traditional Korean music and transform it with an exciting new twist. From 5 Oct
- Watch Disney's Hocus Pocus at the Eventim Apollo: Enjoy a Halloween treat and see the spooky film brought to life with a live orchestra. 26 Oct
- Indulge at a unique and educational plant-forward dining experience at (P)reserve a Table hosted by Apricity x Jongga Kimchi: Enjoy a mouth watering seven-course tasting menu at one of London's top low-waste restaurants. 1 Oct, 13 Oc
- Go back in time to spend an evening at Old but Gold: Sing along to top hits from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s at this immersive cocktail experience. 7-29 Oct