Make the most of the last few weeks of summer in September, when the weather is normally still warm and there's a whole range of unmissable events in London.
As the summer school holidays come to an end, the city welcomes an exciting lineup of architecture, fashion and music festivals – but there are still plenty of fun things to do for those family days out at the weekends.
Unmissable London events September 2023
- Enjoy a month-long celebration of London's river during Totally Thames: Admire artworks, catch concerts in unusual spaces and explore the history of the Thames through free exhibitions and walks. TBC
- Don't miss the remaining performances of this year's BBC Proms: Experience the biggest classical music festival on the planet. TBC
- Be inspired by the London Design Festival: Spot innovative design projects and large-scale installations as they pop up all over the capital in September. TBC
- Explore the capital's architectural wonders at the Open House London: Step inside some of the capital’s most iconic, unusual and, at times, secret buildings during the free festival. TBC
- Be wowed by innovative theatre and performing arts at the Greenwich+Docklands International Festival: Immerse yourself in outdoor performances, cultural productions, art installations, music and more. TBC
Top September activities in London
- With the summer holidays over, it's a great time to visit London's top attractions without the crowds: Make memories at your favourite attractions this autumn.
- ...Or see many attractions in one go with a sightseeing pass: The London Pass and the Go City London Explorer Pass each allow you to visit multiple spots.
- Get your sightseeing fix with London's top tours: Learn about London's history, seek out hidden gems or enjoy a thrilling ride seeing the capital's iconic sights.
- Discover somewhere new within reach of the capital on a day trip from London: Explore exciting historic locations including Windsor, Stonehenge, Oxford, Canterbury and more.
- Explore London's world-famous sporting venues with a stadium tour: With the football season in full swing, why not go behind the scenes of your favourite team's ground.
- Soak up some September sun in the picturesque Kew Gardens: Or spot the leaves turning to autumnal hues in London's top parks and gardens.
- Take in some culture as many museums and galleries launch new exhibitions this month: Or explore cultural attractions after dark with fun-filled lates events.
- Enjoy alfresco movie watching at London's trendy outdoor cinemas: Grab some popcorn and catch a film under the stars on a warm September evening across the capital.
London theatre in September
- Book your seat for London's top musicals: Be entertained by long-running musicals, classic comedies and ground breaking plays.
- Laugh out loud at The Play That Goes Wrong at the Duchess Theatre: Watch as everything that can go wrong with the award-winning comedy does....
- See the spectacular Matilda The Musical at the Cambridge Theatre: See the beloved Roald Dahl book come to life on stage.
- Marvel at Six The Musical at the Vaudeville Theatre: Meet six Tudor queens who have overcome historical heartbreak at the hands of Henry VIII.
- Don't miss TINA - The Tina Turner Musical: Sing along to all your favourite songs in this epic retelling of the legendary singer's story.
- Delight in Oklahoma! at Wyndham's Theatre: Expect the unexpected and plenty of comedy in this highly entertaining extravaganza.
London exhibitions in September
- Discover the Paula Rego: Crivelli's Garden at The National Gallery: See original drawings of the women that inspired her artwork. Until 18 Sep
- Don't miss Exposure: Lives at Sea at the National Maritime Museum: A confronting yet joyful exhibition that shows the world through a seafarers eyes.
- Be inspired at DIVA at the Victoria and Albert Museum: Opening up the question of what it means to be a diva, explore the power and creativity of iconic performers over time. From 24 June
- Explore the evocative artworks of Sarah Lucas at Tate Britain: Using ordinary objects in unexpected ways see pieces that constantly challenge our understanding of sec, class and gender. From 26 Sep
For more things to do in September in London, download the Visit London app.
Find heaps of seasonal special events and activities with our ultimate guide to autumn in London. Alternatively, take a look at the handy events calendar and guide to what's on in London, including the best London theatre shows.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see this London weather page.