Founded in 1753, the British Museum’s remarkable collection spans over two million years of human history. Visitors enjoy a unique comparison of the treasures of world cultures under one roof, centred around the magnificent Great Court.
World-famous objects such as the Rosetta Stone, Parthenon sculptures and Egyptian mummies are visited by up to 5.8 million visitors per year.
There is also a programme of special exhibitions and daily gallery tours, talks and guided tours.
Prices and opening times
Entrance to the museum is free, but entry to the museum's galleries and exhibitions currently requires a pre-booked timed ticket.
A donation of £5 is recommended.
There are admission fees for special exhibitions and some events – book online now to avoid missing out.
Open daily 10:00 - 17:00. Open late on Fridays until 20:30.
Images and Videos
Venue Details & Map
British Museum, Great Russell StreetLondonWC1B 3DG
- +44 (0)20 7323 8000
- Public transport:
- Tube: Russell Square/ Tott Court Rd
Facilities & Accessibility
For comprehensive accessibility information on this venue please click here
- Access Inside Building Facilities
- Seating for limited mobility users along routes
- Accessible Bathroom Facilities
- Designated wheelchair accessible public toilet
- Accessible Communication Facilities
- Information available in audio format
- Information available in large print
- Accessible Venue Facilities
- Assistance dogs welcome
- Catering Facilities
- Event Facilities
- Breakout Rooms
- In house AV available
- Raked or tiered seating offered
- Payment Facilities
- Free entry