Whether you’re after some retail therapy, an alfresco meal with friends, some amazing London attractions or a family day out, plan to do it all in London with these events, activities and must-visit spots.
Make sure to share your adventures using the #LetsDoLondon hashtag! For more inspiration on fun things to do in the capital, check out our Let's Do London guide.
Let's do winter events in London
- Wander around Hyde Park as it's transformed into a Winter Wonderland with fantastic fairground rides, games and an ice rink. Until 3 Jan
- Meander through a world of light, music and technicolour at Enchanted Eltham Palace.
- Head to the City of London and catch Borealis as it lights up the sky above Guildhall Yard. 11-22 Dec
- Visit the Ever After Garden and enjoy the thousands of white roses, which illuminate Grosvenor Square. Until 23 Dec
- Watch the sky glow around the tallest building in the UK as the Shard Lights illuminate the top of The Shard in festive colours. Until 31 Dec
- Wrap up warm and amble around Crystal Palace Park as Lightopia Festival London covers the area in lights and unmissable installations. Until 2 Jan
- See London’s tallest LED tree return to Winterfest at Wembley Park as it's illuminated with light and art displays. Until 4 Jan
- Visit Winter Lights at Southbank Centre, where colourful and powerful projections dazzle the riverside area. Until 9 Jan
- Enjoy one of the many luxury gifts and experiences, including memberships and events across the city.
- Find some of the best Christmas markets in London and indulge in festive foods, fun and shopping.
Find more winter activities in London.
Let's do Christmas in London
- Ride around Richmond Park in a horse-drawn carriage and take in the winter scenes around you with seasonal refreshments. Until 2 Jan
- Revel in the spirit of the season with Christmas at Backyard Cinema, playing all the winter classics. Until 3 Jan
- Be guided through the best displays that London has to offer on a Christmas Lights London by Night bus tour. Until 3 Jan
- Skate around the Natural History Museum ice rink one last time, during the final year the landmark transforms into a winter paradise. Until 6 Jan
- Watch in awe as the 2.6km trail is lit up in spectacular colours and designs at Christmas at Kew. Until 9 Jan
- Visit Hogwarts in the Snow to consume all the magic of the classic movie sets and festive scenes. Until 16 Jan
- Enjoy some festive cheer and laughs at a pantomime this Christmas, or catch one of the many other shows and musicals on in the capital.
Let's have the best night ever
- See award-winning DJs and English National Opera singers take to the London Coliseum stage for Fabric Presents: One Night at the Opera. Jan
- Enjoy a fun-packed programme of late events at the Science Museum. Various dates
- Dance the night away at one of the capital's top clubs, including Heaven, Electric Brixton and Printworks London. Various dates
Find more fun things to do after dark in London.
Let's do family fun
- Enjoy a festive feast for all the senses at The Gingerbread City, including a gingerbread house-making competition. 4 Dec-9 Jan
- Take part in festive workshops and make wreaths, Christmas crafts and origami trees inside a pop-up snow globe at Eccleston Yards. 8-12 Dec
- Immerse the whole family in Discover Children's Story Centre's magical fairy tale world and spot giants, forests and even magic beans. Until Feb
Discover more family fun in London.
Top activities for kids
- Enjoy fun activities and make the most of London's open spaces with Play in the Park.
- Book your tickets to see the incredible selection of animals at ZSL London Zoo.
- Spot landmarks including Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace from the London Eye.
- Experience classic sets from the films, laugh-out-loud live shows and more at Shrek’s Adventure! London on the South Bank.
- Meet sharks, sea turtles and tropical fish at SEA LIFE London Aquarium.
- Walk through London’s scary history and discover secrets from the torture chamber at The London Dungeon.
- Come face-to-face with the wax figure version of your favourite celebs at Madame Tussauds.
- Say hello to the Beefeaters at the Tower of London, and learn about the history of the royal palace and its grizzly past.
- Step inside the Butterfly House at the Horniman Museum & Gardens, where you'll be surrounded by hundreds of fluttering creatures.
- Let the little ones have some educational fun as they try out a range different careers at Kidzania.
- Journey into space during a visit to the Peter Harrison Planetarium at the Royal Observatory Greenwich.
- Take on a family-friendly challenge at The Crystal Maze LIVE Experience London.
- Watch the pelicans being fed every day in St James’s Park, while keeping your eyes peeled for a range of other wildlife.
Find more things to do with the family.
Let's discover fun London attractions
- Explore the incredible collection of plants and fungi at Kew Gardens.
- Soar through the skies on the Emirates Air Line cable car and soak up some gorgeous views across London along the way.
- Climb aboard the famous Cutty Sark – one of the fastest sailing ships of its time – in Greenwich.
- Step inside Tower Bridge to learn all about this world-famous London landmark. And make sure to stand on the glass floor in the Walkways, if you dare!
- Scale one of the most iconic structures in London to get unbeatable views of the city at Up at The O2.
- Relax and enjoy some of London's top landmarks on an attraction-packed bus tour.
- Step through the famous doors of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre to enjoy an open-air guided tour and learn all about its fascinating history.
- Fuel your adrenaline rush and whizz down the river at high speeds with Thames RIB Experience and Thames Rockets.
- Or enjoy the scenery at a slower pace and have lunch while you sail down the Thames on a river cruise.
- Be amazed by the stunning architecture of St Paul’s Cathedral in the City of London.
- Take in London’s riverside landmarks as you travel along the Thames with City Cruises or Uber Boat by Thames Clippers.
- Explore the Roman Temple of Mithras and the collection of excavated artefacts found on the ancient site at London Mithraeum Bloomberg SPACE.
- Treat yourself to a day trip to Windsor to explore the magnificent interiors of Windsor Castle.
- Or wander around the grounds of Kensington Palace, which is currently displaying Princess Diana's wedding dress.
Plan a trip to some of the best attractions in London.
Let's do food and cocktails in London
- Dine in an igloo and enjoy views over Tower Bridge at riverside hotspot, Coppa Club.
- Soak up the views at one of London’s best rooftop bars.
- Experience incredible London views on the Skylight rooftop at Tobacco Dock.
- Sit outside to enjoy a meal at one of London's best alfresco restaurants.
- Get your street food fix from one of London's best markets.
- Grab a mulled cider and soak up the festive buzz at a pub garden.
- Indulge in a sky-high brunch 40 floors above the City of London at Duck & Waffle.
- Snap Chinatown decorated with hundreds of colourful floating lanterns, before tucking into a meal at a restaurant in this popular pocket of London.
- Take in stunning views of the city at Sky Pod Bar in the Sky Garden, which sits at the top of The Walkie Talkie building.
- All aboard the Brigit's Bakery classic afternoon tea bus tour! Enjoy a cuppa and a selection of treats while taking in the sights of London from a Routemaster bus.
- Treat your sweet tooth during an indulgent afternoon tea in London.
- Support neighbourhood businesses with a visit to one of your local restaurants.
Find out where famous Londoners eat and try some of their favourite foodie spots with our London Eats series of interviews.
Let's hit the shops in London
- King's Cross plays host to Canopy Market, where you can sample artisan delights and tasty street food, as well as browse items from designers and artists.
- Make your home a little happier and find your favourite flowers at Chiswick Flower Market.
- Explore the famously quirky Camden Market with stalls selling everything from fashion to food.
- Wander the high streets of Hoxton and Shoreditch, and pop over to Columbia Road Flower Market while in the area on Sundays.
- Head to the West End and shop on some of the area’s most popular shopping streets, including Regent Street, Bond Street, Carnaby and Oxford Street.
- Arrive hungry at Borough Market to pick up gourmet treats, from fine cheeses to fresh seafood.
- Delve into the delights of the historic Greenwich Market and pick up trinkets from British designer-makers.
- Pick up new threads at bargain prices from the Icon Outlet at The O2.
- Head to Broadgate to shop for top brands at 100 Liverpool Street's boutiques in the City of London.
Let's do cultural gems
- Tumble down the rabbit hole to the V&A’s immersive exhibition on the history of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Alice: Curiouser and Curiouser. Until 31 Dec
- Spend an afternoon exploring Fantastic Beasts: The Wonder of Nature at the Natural History Museum. Until 3 Jan
- Explore fascinating collections spanning more than two million years of history at the British Museum.
- Plan a day out in South Kensington to visit the V&A, Natural History Museum and Science Museum.
- Learn about the history of the Royal Air Force at the RAF Museum London.
- Discover the stories of those who have lived through conflict at the Imperial War Museum London.
- Head beneath the streets of Westminster and see where Winston Churchill and his inner circle directed the Second World War at Churchill War Rooms.
- Visit the iconic Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich to explore 500 years of history.
- Discover a living part of Britain's heritage at the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace.
- Find out what it means to be human in the 21st century at the Wellcome Collection's Being Human exhibition.
- Get to know the capital's transport history and heritage at London Transport Museum.
Check out some of the best museum exhibitions in London.
- Broaden your horizons as 180 Studios brings together the works of celebrated artists to showcase Lux: A New Wave of Contemporary Art. Until 18 Dec
- Allow yourself to be entranced by the intricate wonders of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel Exhibition and get an up-close view of the masterpieces. Until 2 Jan
- View some of the Queen's favourite paintings from the Royal Collection at the Masterpieces from Buckingham Palace exhibition. Until 13 Feb
- Get inspired by Lubaina Himid, painter and cultural activist, who has been highly influential to the British Black arts movement. Until 3 Jul
- Visit the National Maritime Museum and catch an out-of-this-world display of the Astronomy Photographer of the Year. Until 7 Aug
- Explore one of the world’s greatest collections of paintings at the National Gallery on Trafalgar Square.
- Lose yourself in paintings, drawings and sculptures spanning the centuries at the Guildhall Art Gallery, before taking a peek at London’s Roman Amphitheatre.
- Spend an afternoon learning about British art from the 1500s to the present day at Tate Britain.
Take a look at some of the top art exhibitions in London.
Let's experience incredible London events
London theatre and shows
- Catch The Muppet Christmas Carol in Concert at the Royal Albert Hall. 11 Dec
- Experience a dazzlingly glamorous performance from singers, dancers and entertainers in A Gatsby Christmas at the London Cabaret Club. Until 23 Dec
- Get ready for the return of the winter season at Sam Wanamaker Playhouse with Measure for Measure, Hamlet and The Merchant of Venice on stage. Until 9 Apr
- Swoon and laugh at the comedy remake of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice* (*Sort of). Until 17 Apr
- Book tickets for one of London's top 10 musicals, from The Lion King to & Juliet and Pretty Woman.
- Celebrate iconic Royal Albert Hall’s 150th anniversary, with performances from multi-award-winning composers and spectacular shows and events throughout the season.
- Chuckle along to Mischief Theatre's hilarious The Play That Goes Wrong.
- Head to Theatreland and discover the much-loved tale of The Prince of Egypt at the Dominion Theatre.
- Tap your feet to the tunes of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons in Jersey Boys at the Trafalgar Theatre.
- Grab tickets for opera and ballet performances at the Royal Opera House.
- Enjoy an evening of theatre fun with one of the plays at the Bridge Theatre.
- Be part of the audience for a collection of mesmerising live dance performances at Sadler's Wells.
- Take your seats for an exciting lineup of shows as part of the Live from the Barbican series.
- Welcome back London's oldest surviving grand music hall as Wilton's reopens its doors to delight audiences with theatre, music and spoken word.
Discover more of the best theatre in London.
Outdoor events in London
- Step outside and make the most of the outdoor entertainment across the capital, from riverside theatre to open-air art.
- Pop over to the West End and take a free self-guided audio tour of Theatreland, narrated by the legendary Sir Ian McKellen.
- Plan a fun-filled night out at one of London’s best outdoor and drive-in cinemas.
- Explore the city's Royal Parks with the kids on the self-led More than Bugs walking trails, where you'll learn all about ladybirds, bees, dragonflies and more fascinating creatures.
Let's enjoy the great outdoors
- See the city from two wheels and discover London’s cycle routes. Plus, take a look at these tips on how to cycle in London.
- Stretch your legs and explore the capital by foot with London’s best walking routes.
- Surround yourself with picturesque frosty views and gorgeous winter botany at one of the capital's best gardens.
- Eat alfresco in one of the city's loveliest picnic spots.
- Get your blood pumping and seek out these outdoor spots for exercising.
- Take a dip in one of London’s outdoor swimming pools or lidos.
- Surround yourself with nature and boost your wellbeing in London's Royal Parks.
- Discover an art trail between Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and The O2 with The Line.
- Say hello to some of your favourite big-screen stars with Scenes in the Square.
- Try your hand at outdoor crazy golf at Plonk in London Fields.
Find more fun things to do outdoors in London.
Getting around the city
If you're exploring the capital, plan ahead and travel at quieter times for more space – download the TfL Go app for real-time travel information.
You must wear a face covering across all TfL stations and services – you may be denied access to the travel network if you’re not wearing a face covering.
The TfL network also has special measures in place to help you travel safely, including hand sanitiser stations, regular cleaning and fresh air ventilation across services. Find all the latest travel guidance for London.