Content contains affiliate links – marked with asterisks. If you click through and make a purchase, Visit London receives a commission which is put back into our work promoting London.
Impress your sweetheart with thoughtful Valentine's Day ideas, special tours and attractions, a must-see show or a memorable dinner at a romantic restaurant with this guide to the ultimate dates in London.
Fun date ideas
- For the ultimate date night show, check out London’s top 10 musicals: Cosy up to romantic tales or enjoy hilarious stories that will have you laughing all night.
- Treat them to the quintessential treat of afternoon tea: Try traditional or quirky options. impress with champagne teas or save with a cheaper option (we won’t tell).
- Really impress by booking a helicopter tour: Enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime view of London from above.
- Be amazed by immersive experiences: Choose from theatre shows, attractions and more – a date that’s sure to live in their memory.
- Glam up for a luxury train journey from London: Enjoy a five-course meal aboard a classic British Pullman train* with champagne or join a special Murder Mystery trip*.
- Spend some quality time together with London’s best spa days: Relax with special treatments for two.
- Take your date to one of London's bowling alleys: They have an old-fashioned charm that makes for a fun and alternative date night.
- Take an exhilarating speedboat ride down the Thames: Get the adrenaline flowing with an exciting London speedboat experience.
- Go horse riding together through Hyde Park: Explore one of London's most iconic parks.
Sightseeing ideas to impress
- Enjoy a special moment looking over London: The Emirates Air Line cable car, iconic London Eye and The View from The Shard all provide amazing views of the city.
- Go for a stroll among all rare and ancient plants at Kew Gardens: Perch under the pagoda or cosy up in the palm houses.
- Dates need not just be a few hours, make a day of it with a day trip from London: Visit Windsor Castle, Stonehenge or explore the romantic city of Bath.
- If you’re looking for a summer date idea, Buckingham Palace opens its doors every July to October: See the State Rooms and explore the special exhibition.
- Are you both Harry Potter fans? enjoy a Harry Potter-themed date: See props and sets from the films at Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter, or bond over Butterbeer at the Harry Potter Photographic Exhibition.
- See city highlights: Explore in your own time on a hop-on hop-off bus tour or enjoy a day-long date with the Total London Experience.
- Conjure up some top tipples together at cocktail masterclasses*: Shake up everything from classic drinks to your own creations.
- Work together to solve clues on a London Treasure Hunt*: Pick from locations across London and try to beat other teams.
- Break the ice over a G&T during a fun gin experience*: Go gin tasting or even make your own spirit.
- Cook up a storm with cooking masterclasses* for two: Will you impress them with your culinary skills?
- Take a self-guided street art tour*: Discover creativity flourishing in Shoreditch and snap some selfies with your date.
- Go on an adrenaline-fuelled date with Up at The O2: Climb up the famous entertainment centre and enjoy amazing views.
- Hire a pedalo in Hyde Park: Glide along the beautiful Serpentine lake.
Inspiring date-night locations
- See London twinkle at night with a special London by Night bus tour: Glimpse the likes of the London Eye, Tower of London and St Paul’s Cathedral lit up come nightfall.
- Explore Sir John Soane’s Museum by candlelight: Discover a collection of antiquities and exquisite paintings.
- Snuggle up on Electric Cinema’s front row bed: Watch your favourite films while sharing a bag of popcorn.
- Go on a cultural date at one of London’s exciting late museum openings: Grab a glass of chilled bubbles at one of London’s best champagne bars afterwards.
- Bag tickets to a show at the magnificent Royal Opera House: Take your date to see a ballet or a classic romantic opera.
- Book a stay at one of these romantic hotels: Stay a stone's throw from London's magical landmarks.
- Take a stroll along the river on the South Bank: Enjoy magnificent views of the Houses of Parliament and the London Eye as a backdrop.
- Ramp up the romance with a dinner cruise or a lunch cruise: Or add some pizzazz with a jazz cruise*
- Start the date early with a brunch at Ballie Ballerson*: End in fits of giggles in the adult ball pit.
- Get loved up in Clos Maggiore: The charming French restaurant is decked out in flowers for an extra special touch.
- Dine at the extravagant Gallery at Sketch or splash out at three-Michelin-star Lecture Room and Library: Pick from two great dining spots in the same building.
- Feast on oysters: Don't be shellfish, make sure to share at these seafood restaurants.
- Soak up breathtaking views from Sushisamba: Taste refined dishes combining the flavours of Japan, Peru and Brazil.
- Book a table at Bob Bob Ricard: Order bubbles without losing eye contact with your date by pressing a champagne button.
Cheap date ideas
- Catch some Shakespeare at The Globe: Standing tickets cost just £5. Or join a special tour of The Globe.
- Have a picnic in one of London’s most beautiful parks: Hampstead Heath, Greenwich Park and Primrose Hill offer some fantastic views of London.
- Browse stunning flower displays at Columbia Road Flower Market: Stroll hand-in-hand and take home some beautiful blooms and gardening essentials.
- Hire a Santander bike: Cycle around London’s most beautiful hidden routes.
- Take your date to one of the capital's independent coffee shops: Sip a flat white as you spend some quality time together.
- Visit the free Sky Garden: Be amazed by wonderful views of London’s skyline.
Cool places for a first date in London
- Hear some live jazz at the legendary Ronnie Scott's in Soho: Don't miss one of the city's most famous jazz venues.
- See a show at fascinating Wilton’s Music Hall: It's the world’s oldest and last surviving music hall.
- Make your way to the Royal Observatory Greenwich: Stargaze, touch a 4.5 billion-year-old asteroid and straddle different hemispheres on the Meridian Line.
- Enjoy drinks at Gordon’s Wine Bar: Drink in an atmospheric cave in central London.
- Head to SEA LIFE London: Discover the aquarium's most magical sea creatures.
- Spice up your date with some competition at fun activity bars: Play urban golf, shuffleboard or even try axe throwing!
- Stroll through fields of lavender: Link arms and enjoy the gorgeous scenery at Mayfield Lavender Farm.
- Explore the Barbican Conservatory’s hidden tropical oasis: Visit on selected dates and grab a drink at the bar.