- A live BBC broadcast showcases London's finest moments of 2021.
- River cruises, live music and theatre performances mark the new year.
- Many restaurants and bars host spectacular New Year's Eve celebrations.
A live showcase of 2021 highlights is being displayed on BBC One to greet the new year.
London's usual NYE firework event is not going ahead this year but there's no shortage of fun things to do to welcome 2022. Many of London's best attractions, including restaurants, bars, theatres and entertainment venues are ready to celebrate NYE with a bang.
Find ideas of things to do on New Year's Eve in the capital including the most unmissable events in the city.
NYE cruises with views of the city
- Choose a magical New Year's Eve cruise on the Thames and enjoy live entertainment as you welcome 2022.
- Watch London in all its glory from the river on one of City Cruises' New Year's Eve cruises: choose from a sightseeing cruise, traditional boat trips with champagne and live music, and even dinner in a modern City Cruises RiverLiner.
- Take a thrilling speedboat ride with Thames Rockets, before cruising back to central London to kick off the festivities.
Capture views of the city
- Treat yourself to an unforgettable London NYE at The Rooftop with views of Trafalgar Square and exceptional cocktails.
- Watch the sun set on 2021 with a delicious brunch at Madison and enjoy the best views of St Paul's Cathedral.
- Feast on scallops and beef wellington at the legendary Savoy Grill and make the most of riverside views as you toast to the new year.
- See the skyline sparkle from the riverside restaurant at Sea Containers hotel, or head to the rooftop and party to live music at 12th Knot.
- End the year on a high with dinner and music at a restaurant with amazing views of the London skyline.
London restaurants for New Year's Eve dining
- Treat yourself to a meal at one of London's finest Michelin-starred restaurants.
- Find and book a restaurant for New Year's Eve, many of which put on special menus.
- Go for an unusual end to the year at one of London’s quirky restaurants.
- Start your celebrations off early with an indulgent afternoon tea in London.
- Enjoy a pre-dinner drink or toast midnight at one of London’s sparkling champagne bars or swish cocktail bars.
New Year's Eve clubs and parties
- Dance, with a cocktail in hand, in front of spectacular views at the New Year's Eve party at the top of The Shard.
- Be transported to Times Square with the New Year’s Eve Ball at Battersea Evolution.
- Get your skates on and head to the NYE bash at Skylight Tobacco Dock’s rooftop bar, complete with an ice rink and bookable igloos to nestle in.
- Relive the 80s and 90s at Apples & Pears while grooving into the new year with the best funk, soul and old school R&B around.
New Year's Eve shows and concerts
- Enjoy an evening of classical music by the London Concert Orchestra with the New Year’s Eve Gala at the Barbican.
- Take in the magic of The Nutcracker as the Birmingham Royal Ballet returns to the Royal Albert Hall.
- Giggle the night away with some New Year's Eve Comedy and the Comedy Carnival at Rumba.
Day and evening NYE London ideas
- Head to Trafalgar Square to celebrate in style as the area hosts live music, food stalls and stage performers (keep an eye out for ticket information, which hasn't been released yet).
- Enjoy an afternoon skate at one of London's top ice-skating rinks.
- Get stuck into festive fun at Winter Wonderland with rides, markets and shows.
- Take the family to a top Christmas show or a spectacular West End performance (not all productions have shows on New Year's Eve, so check dates in advance).
- Tick off some of London’s top attractions, many of which are open during the day on New Year’s Eve
London New Year’s Eve fireworks
The London New Year's Eve fireworks are not taking place as a public, ticketed event this year, but you can enjoy a dazzling exhibition of the highs of 2021, broadcasted on BBC One.
The extravaganza uses state of the art technology and musical accompaniment to showcase the city's best 2021 moments and to celebrate the revitalisation of London.
Things to do on New Year's Day
- Start the new year off with the London New Year’s Day Parade 2022, which promises to parade over 10,000 performers through central London.
- Hit the shops in one of London’s top shopping destinations to pick up bargains in the January sales.
- Marvel at the Christmas lights and Christmas trees, which can still be spotted across the city.
- Take a look at what else is on in London on New Year's Day.