Don your best workout gear and have fun discovering London’s coolest outdoor fitness spots and activities.
Best cycling routes
- Ride along the banks of the river Thames, which offer long scenic stretches of traffic-free cycling on the Thames Path National Trail.
- Take in some of London’s maritime history and discover hidden gems along the way with the Thames Cultural Cycling Tour.
- Explore north-east London’s Lee Valley and its 42km (26 miles) of traffic-free cycling.
- Head south to the once heavily industrialised river Wandle for largely traffic-free cycling alongside the river between Croydon and Wandsworth.
- Discover another side of the city on two wheels, from quirky spots to secret gardens, with TfL's themed cycling routes.
Best walks and trails
- Explore all that London's best parks have to offer, from spotting free-roaming deer in Richmond Park to walking up Primrose Hill for sweeping views of Regent’s Park and the London skyline.
- Take an evening stroll along the river Thames and watch as the Illuminated River installation lights up London’s iconic bridges, including London Bridge and Millennium Bridge.
- Walk the Regent's Canal from Camden Lock to King's Cross and see the man-made wonders of the locks used for raising and lowering boats along the way.
- See the London sites that inspired Arthur Conan Doyle with the Sherlock Holmes Tour, or stroll in the footsteps of Jack the Ripper on a themed walk.
Discover more London walks across the city.
Best outdoor swimming and lidos
- Take a refreshing dip in Tooting Bec Lido, the oldest purpose-built open-air pool in London.
- Go for a dip in one of Hampstead Heath’s four swimming pools, including three freshwater Bathing Ponds and the unheated Parliament Hill Lido.
- Enjoy a toasty swim at London Fields Lido, which is maintained at a comfortable 25C (77F) year-round.
- Marvel at Brockwell Lido’s art deco features, including its Grade II-listed pavilion buildings, during a swim at this south London outdoor pool.
- Head to south-east London for a proper swimming sesh in Charlton Lido’s Olympic-sized outdoor pool, which is heated to a balmy 25C (77F) all year.
Get to know more London lidos and cool spots for outdoor swimming.
Best outdoor fitness classes and workouts
- Start off your day with a relaxing outdoor yoga session on the rooftop of the Bussey Building in Peckham, with Yogarise.
- From full body workouts to pilates, join a socially distanced outdoor fitness class with Our Parks. Classes take place every week in boroughs across London, from Brent to Lewisham.
- Enjoy a mix of boxing, cardio and pad work suitable for all levels with Boxit Bootcamp’s high-intensity sessions in leafy Clapham Common.
- Join fellow joggers on a free, weekly 5k park run near you, with locations all over London, from Tooting Commons to Finsbury Park.
- Flex your muscles using the pull-up bars, parallel bars and monkey ladders at free outdoor gyms available in more and more London parks and green spaces, including Victoria Park and Holland Park.
- For military-style training, try the original outdoor bootcamp workout, Be Military Fit, in parks across the city.
- Practise your serve with a game of outdoor tennis at one of London’s top sports centres, from Crystal Palace National Sports Centre to Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre.
- Feeling adventurous? Try stand-up paddleboarding, wakeboarding or hydrofoiling in the Royal Victoria Dock with WakeUp Docklands.